Thursday, April 3, 2008
A small glimpse of my life
Hello, my name is David Livingstone. I guess you could say that I am a pretty important person, especially to Christians. I was born, and grew up in Blantye, England. I lived in a one - room place with my mom, dad, two brothers, and two sisters. I had to start working when I was ten years old, and sadly, it was in a cotton mill. I would work for fourteen hours a day, and then go to two hours of class. I guess you could say I was a nerd because I loved books. I used my first pay-check to buy a Latin and Greek book, and I must say my father was not happy. He did not like those kinds of books. My father also said that science was ungodly, but my life was altered with the writings of Thomas Dick. Thomas Dick said that science and religion both helped explain the complications of God’s world. All it took was one of Thomas’s books and immediately I knew that I wanted Christ as my Savior. When I was 23, I went to Anderson ’s College, and while I was there, I studied medicine, theology, and science. Just one year after that I enrolled in the London Missionary Society (LMS). Shortly on down the road, I set out for South Africa (December 1840 to be precise). I thought that I would be gone for a little while, but had you told me I would have been gone for sixteen years, I would have just laughed. But, sixteen years it was. I arrived to Cape Town in March 1841. For ten years I tried to be a missionary in different parts of Southern Africa . While I was in Africa , I married Mary Moffat. I met her while I was teaching and working for her father. A little later, I made some very dangerous explorations.I did this because I wanted to open a “Missionary Road ” called “God’s Highway”. But, I am sorry to say, I need to go spread the Word. I have only told you about the first part of my life and will be back to write more at a later date.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
It sounds like you have a very busy life, Mr. Livingston. You are a lucky man to be able to travel the world like you do. Keep up all your good, hard work!
Do you believe you were mauled by a lion because of Predestination or do you think that maybe you were headed down a road God preferred you not to go down so He sent a Lion after you?
That is a great question Mr. Newton. I believe that everything happens for a reason, and God put that lion in my life for a reason. I may never know that reason but I know that God has it. It is my job, and yours, to trust that he has his reason and to continue to follow him.
Sounds like your childhood was chocked full of work and school. Did you go and play with your friends(if you had any)? Was your dad a really strict person because he got mad when you spent your first pay on a book? Sorry to hear that you got mauled by a lion.
Mr. Livingston-
I see that you wrote that you married Mary Moffat. However, I have her rumours that you had an affair with an African woman- is this true?
Post a Comment