I just read a book about Moralistic Therapeutic Deism (MTD). It is a very interesting study that the author did. I do not like the whole belief though and I wish that we could just convert those teens to Christianity, but trust me, it is not that easy. I think it is good though that they at least know that God is there. But it is sad that MTD is the "dominating teenage religion". These teenagers do have the part right about God being there for them when they need help or are sad. They just are not seeing the whole picture, just a very small part of it. I am curious to know what these teenagers thought of the interview, and what some Christian teenagers thought of it. It is normal for teenagers to be confused, so I guess I can see why this would appeal to a teen. It seems like it is too independent for teenagers. How can a teenager judge what actions are good and what actions are bad? How can someone know if they are doing the right thing when they have nothing to measure it to? That is part of the reason this belief does not appeal to me. Another part of MTD that I do not especially like is the part when they say God is only there when we want him to be. If God is everywhere, how can he only be there when we want him to be? We have no control on where he is, he is in all places at all times. In conclusion though, it makes since, with the way teenagers act nowadays that there is a religion with these characteristics. I would love to see responses on this, so, feel free to write about it. Thanks for reading, and spending time on my blog.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
wow. this was an interesting blog. I have to say it didn't really sound like something David Livingston would write. you didn't go that in depth with anything, and your writing sounded dull and repetative. but on the up side, your blog looks great and you seem to have a good grasp on the big picture! just take a closer look at some of the details.
Post a Comment